Topic New Glyphs with no unicode

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »

# New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-02-20 14:35:08.457
Rajendra
Hi,
The new script / language for which we are trying to develop the new keyboards using Keyman developer has some totally new glyphs for which there is no Unicode identified yet.
Please advise me on how to map the new glyphs in the Keyman developer tool and how do we bring these new glyphs in to Keyman character map.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-02-21 16:26:20.743
Jeremy Kirkham
Tavultesoft Staff
Hi Rajendra,

There is an area of Unicode known as private use area which should contain the glyphs you have created.

To find the private use area, firstly select the font you wish to use by right clicking on the Character Map and selecting "font". Then you will need to type the greater than symbol > in the "filter by" input box in the Character Map and then scroll to the Private Use Area in the Character Map. You should then be able to drag and drop your glyphs onto the keyboard.

Regards,
Jeremy
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-02-21 21:41:54.230
Rajendra
Thanks for the response.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-25 16:06:31.860
Middlepath Technology Solutions Pvt Ltd
I have created some new characters using private key editor. How do I bring in those characters into keyman developer to use in my keyboard?
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-25 16:15:42.513
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
You can refer to private use characters by Unicode character reference in the keyboard source, for example:

+ [K_A] > U+E080
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-25 19:49:51.150
Thanks. I think I was not clear, my question is where do I upload the new characters in keyman. When I go to the character map - private use area in keyman developer currently there are no characters. How do I bring the new characters into the keyman character map?. I am assuming that unless I bring the characters into the map I will not be able to use the code.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-26 08:15:43.837
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
The steps to see the private use area characters are as described by Jeremy; I quote:

:
To find the private use area, firstly select the font you wish to use by right clicking on the Character Map and selecting "font". Then you will need to type the greater than symbol > in the "filter by" input box in the Character Map and then scroll to the Private Use Area in the Character Map. You should then be able to drag and drop your glyphs onto the keyboard.

You can always reference the private use area characters in your keyboard without changing font first; if you select the font later the characters will then appear.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-26 19:02:36.927
I do understand how to access the private use characters. My question is how will the new characters appear in the private use area. I have to upload it somewhere right? How does keyman know my new characters.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-26 21:23:18.460
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Keyman Developer will read the private use characters from your font and display them in the Character Map - you don't need to upload or import it specially into Keyman Developer. The only thing you need to do is select your font in the Character Map and enter ">" into the filter box, which tells the Character Map to use show all the characters in the selected font, rather than all the characters in the Unicode Standard.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-26 21:37:02.133
I have not created a font. i have just created 6 new characters in private character editor(from Microsoft) and linked it to all fonts before saving.

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »