Topic New Glyphs with no unicode

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »

# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-26 21:54:55.587
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
OK, I'm not sure what the Private Character Editor is? A font describes the shapes of the characters - both Unicode-defined characters and Private Use characters. If you are adding characters to the Private Use Area, that necessarily requires a custom font to go with it in order for the shape of the characters to be viewable.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-26 21:58:17.700
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
So I've just looked it up, and this is a very limited tool intended really only for use on your own computer. It hacks in bitmap character shapes (not scaleable) to the display renderer; Keyman Developer won't support this in Character Map because the characters are not enumerable from the font resource itself.

In order to distribute a solution with PUA characters, you'll need a font tool such as FontLab to create your own font.
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-27 14:30:17.083
Middlepath Technology Solutions Pvt Ltd
If I create a new custom font will it show up in keyman when I right click on the character map and choose fonts? Do I need to do anything else to see my font in the font list?
# RE: New Glyphs with no unicode   2013-03-28 08:28:07.343
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
If you create a custom font and install it in Windows, it will appear in the font list in Character Map in the same way as any other font.

Note: if you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8, you may want to disable the option "Hide fonts based on language settings" in the Font settings control panel.
# Printing problems   2013-05-24 14:30:19.870
Middlepath Technology Solutions Pvt Ltd
We have developed a keyboard for a new script 'navlipi'. Everything works fine except for printing. When we tried printing the document(word)using HP laser printer some of the characters are not getting printed properly. We escpecially have touble with S,C,greek ohm, ampersand,dollar. It prints perfectly on an inkjet printer. Is there a solution for this?. I can send you the scanned document if needed.
# RE: Printing problems   2013-05-24 15:50:59.693
Jeremy Kirkham
Tavultesoft Staff
This sounds like it could be related to non-Unicode fonts. If the script 'navlipi' is non-Unicode, a couple of fixes include: use "print truetype as graphics" (option name will depend on the driver version), or using PostScript instead of PCL drivers.

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »