Topic Keyman in virtual machine? (Fusion)

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# Keyman in virtual machine? (Fusion)   2009-12-15 12:12:03.843
Rod Decker
Has anyone tried running Keyman in a virtual machine? I'm running Win7 on a MacBookPro using VMWare's Fusion v 3. It installs fine, and appears to work in Keyman's Getting Started editor, but as soon as I switch to another app (WordPad) I get nothing. The assigned hotkey doesn't work and if I select the keyboard (Greek) with the mouse, it still does not type Greek in WordPad (it still generates English), though it does show the Greek keyboard icon. (I've used Keyman in XP natively for years with no problem, so I suspect it related to the virtual environment.) Any help appreciated.
# RE: Keyman in virtual machine? (Fusion)   2009-12-15 12:16:34.380
Rod Decker
I just noted in another thread that there may be problems with Win7-64 bit, so perhaps that's the problem instead since I am running the 64 bit version of Win7 (though Wordpad is apparently 32 bit?).
# RE: Keyman in virtual machine? (Fusion)   2009-12-15 15:01:15.020
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Yes, Keyman 7.1.268.0 currently does not integrate with 64 bit applications. We are presently testing a 64 bit version of Keyman Desktop and this will be released soon.

WordPad by default is 64 bit (you can check this by looking at Task Manager, Processes tab -- 32 bit applications are marked with a "*32" in the Image Name column. 32 bit versions of most Windows utilities (e.g. notepad.exe) are available in C:\Windows\SysWow64. WordPad 32 bit is however located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows NT\Accessories\WordPad.exe
# RE: Keyman in virtual machine? (Fusion)   2009-12-15 15:02:02.023
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Also in reply to your question about running in a virtual machine, we run Keyman Desktop in 3 different VM environments here on a daily basis -- Microsoft Hyper-V, VMWare Server, and VMWare Workstation.