Topic Quotation Marks with Doulos IPA Unicode

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

Keyboard Details SIL IPA Unicode‌ Keyboard Downloads and Details

# Quotation Marks with Doulos IPA Unicode   2008-06-26 02:18:43.973
JonEP
Hi, I'm using the SIL IPA Uni 12 keyboard and Doulos font. I'd like to be able to type normal quotation marks (either 'smart' quotes or non-smart), but when using " after a space the quotation mark comes out at the bottom of the text (down at the feet) instead of above. Same problem when using '

Both glyphs work well if there is no space before them. Is there a way to correct this? I have Keyman developer and am comfortable with editing the source file, but I don't know enough about how it is set up to actually make the changes myself.

Thanks.
Jonathan
# RE: Quotation Marks with Doulos IPA Unicode   2008-06-26 19:57:38.413
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
I can't reproduce this issue here - there may be something else going on rather than the SIL IPA keyboard itself. Which Windows language have you associated the keyboard with, and in which applications are you seeing this behaviour? Does it happen with Notepad?
# RE: Quotation Marks with Doulos IPA Unicode   2008-07-22 08:46:37.400
JonEP
Hi thanks for replying. In Control Panel, Regional and Language settings I've selected Icelandic, and am using the US keyboard. In Keyman, the language Icelandic, using the US keyboard layout, is set to use a modified version of the IPA Uni keyboard (IPA Unicode 5.1, version 1.2 -- see: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=UniIPAKeyboard).

When I am using Microsoft Word 2007 in Vista, I switch languages from English to Icelandic, and switch fonts to Doulos IPA. Typing this way allows me to produce all of the characters in the Doulos IPA Unicode font, but quotations are impossible to type, as they come up at the bottom of the line of text.

I tried using the keyboard with Notepad and in that case it uses 'straight quotes,' and the quotes behave normally. Same when using SIL's Toolbox program. I assumed that this was a problem with Word's smart quotes feature, but when I go to Word Options, Proofing, Autocorrect Options, and de-select "replace 'straight quotes' with 'smart quotes'", that does not fix the problem.

Thanks,
Jonathan
# RE: Quotation Marks with Doulos IPA Unicode   2008-07-22 08:48:00.177
JonEP
Hi thanks for replying. In Control Panel, Regional and Language settings I've selected Icelandic, and am using the US keyboard. In Keyman, the language Icelandic, using the US keyboard layout, is set to use a modified version of the IPA Uni keyboard (IPA Unicode 5.1, version 1.2 -- see: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=UniIPAKeyboard).

When I am using Microsoft Word 2007 in Vista, I switch languages from English to Icelandic, and switch fonts to Doulos IPA. Typing this way allows me to produce all of the characters in the Doulos IPA Unicode font, but quotations are impossible to type, as they come up at the bottom of the line of text.

I tried using the keyboard with Notepad and in that case it uses 'straight quotes,' and the quotes behave normally. Same when using SIL's Toolbox program. I assumed that this was a problem with Word's smart quotes feature, but when I go to Word Options, Proofing, Autocorrect Options, and de-select "replace 'straight quotes' with 'smart quotes'", that does not fix the problem.

Thanks,
Jonathan
# RE: Quotation Marks with Doulos IPA Unicode   2008-07-24 08:17:39.220
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
This is a new feature in Word 2007 - support for Icelandic style of quotes. So even if you exit Keyman and just enter a quote, you'll find Word drops it to the bottom of the line. The solution is to associate the keyboard with another language - Icelandic has previously been chosen because Word has bugs with its handling of certain characters (especially U+00FD ý), and using Icelandic reduces the scope of these bugs (because it appears that they special-cased support for the this character when Icelandic is selected).

If you don't need U+00FD, I suggest adding another variety of English (e.g. English (Zimbabwe)) to use with the IPA keyboard.