Topic Keyboard for Assamese

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

Keyboard Details Bangla-Asamiya Keyboard Downloads and Details

# Keyboard for Assamese   2007-12-13 01:51:14.793
Mr Mumtaz Ansari
Hello,
I have developed a keyboard for typing in Assamese language using Keyman Developer Version 7 (Evaluation) and it works well in Keyman Desktop or Light Version 7 but my question is can I install the keybaord as a runtime file in Keyman Standard Home Edition 6.2?
# RE: Keyboard for Assamese   2007-12-13 22:24:00.933
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Keyman Developer 7.0 does not officially support creating keyboards and packages for the older versions of Keyman. However, unofficially, keyboards can be targetted for the older version. Packages cannot be targetted for the older version. Once you target an older version, you cannot use the visual design tools or many of the other features in version 7.0. See the VERSION statement in the Keyman Developer documentation for further details.

Please note that you must register Keyman Developer before distributing keyboards that you create with it. You are not licenced to distribute or use keyboards created with the evaluation version of Keyman Developer once the 30 day evaluation period has expired.

If you have created a keyboard that you wish to share with the community, but are not able to purchase a license for Keyman Developer, please contact our sales team at [email protected], so we can discuss possible solutions for this with you.

Kind Regards,

Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Pty Ltd
# RE: Keyboard for Assamese   2007-12-14 01:21:36.530
Mr Mumtaz Ansari
[quote="Marc Durdin"]Keyman Developer 7.0 does not officially support creating keyboards and packages for the older versions of Keyman. However, unofficially, keyboards can be targetted for the older version. Packages cannot be targetted for the older version. Once you target an older version, you cannot use the visual design tools or many of the other features in version 7.0. See the VERSION statement in the Keyman Developer documentation for further details.

Please note that you must register Keyman Developer before distributing keyboards that you create with it. You are not licenced to distribute or use keyboards created with the evaluation version of Keyman Developer once the 30 day evaluation period has expired.

If you have created a keyboard that you wish to share with the community, but are not able to purchase a license for Keyman Developer, please contact our sales team at [email protected], so we can discuss possible solutions for this with you.

Kind Regards,

Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Pty Ltd[/quote]

Thanks Marc.

So, I can develop my keyboards using Keyman Developer Ver 7 and then use them in an older version of Keyman as a runtime file only. However, to put things straight, I do not have any intention of developing the keyboards as packages and distribute them. If ever I make up my mind about it, I would certainly contact Tavultesoft Sales guys. By the way, could you shed some light on how can I share my keyboard(s) developed using Keyman Developer (Evaluation Version) with the tavultesoft community on your site freely?
# RE: Keyboard for Assamese   2007-12-17 12:59:33.653
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
If you only have the evaluation version of Keyman Developer, you can share your keyboards by emailing the source files and any required files to [email protected], along with some notes on how to use the keyboard. We will then work with you to publish the keyboard.

Kind Regards,

Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Pty Ltd
# RE: Keyboard for Assamese   2007-12-18 22:31:16.530
Mr Mumtaz Ansari
Thanks, Marc.

I face one another problem though it is not directly related to Tavultesoft. I have developed my keyboard for typing using Licensed PostScript Fonts. But I do not possess the licence to distribute the font files. So, could you please suggest any way out there so that once I share my development with the community they would be benefitted by it without going through the hassle of buying the licence for the required PS Font?

Regards.
# RE: Keyboard for Assamese   2007-12-19 16:12:33.483
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Do the fonts follow the Unicode Standard? If so, you should be able to use any other fonts that follow the standard and cover the language that you are working with. Most languages have some fonts available that are free for distribution. Look for fonts that are distributed with the Open Font License.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do about the PS fonts themselves - if they are licensed fonts, then users would simply need to purchase a license to use them.
# RE: Keyboard for Assamese   2007-12-21 01:10:26.080
Mr Mumtaz Ansari
Unfortunately, no. The fonts are not Unicode Standard. So, I guess I'm out of luck here. Anyway, I'm currently busy googling and FTPing to ferret out some PS Font that are freely available to use and share. Till now, no such luck.